CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

All the hustle and Bustle...


As I sit here in our third bedroom (don’t want to make that sound too glorious…it’s a cubby hole really) which seconds as a home office and a guest bedroom and laundry room and Christmas wrapping center… I realize that I’ve been staring into space for a couple minutes now. Overwhelmed by the exhaustion of the season …Christmas that is. Anyone who knows me knows that I practically poop Christmas elves, I LOVE this time of year so much. However, I also build it up so big each year, I can’t keep up with myself…and Thomas is only TWO! How will I ever keep this pace up over the years? Couldn’t I, we, fuss a little less and enjoy the season a bit more…couldn’t we? SNAP out of it Kate! The thought has often come to me, “Why do we try to always cram it into just ONE month? Why do the Toys for Tots, Salvation Army, Road Home, and all these service projects or acts of service seem double time this time of year?” We give gifts to neighbors and friends to show them we love them and we care… just because it’s that time of year. This month is my favorite because I think we overindulge in every aspect…food, gifts, and generosity. But why only JUST this month? AS the Saviors example, we feel loving and give more this month…but tend to forget later. After December has come and gone, we all seem a little embarrassed or ashamed that we “did so much” or “got a little too cheesy” or “over the top”. We pull back in for eleven more months till December rolls around again. No wonder why we seem so overwhelmed, December IS crazy busy if we leave all of our generosity and serving and fun to one month! Suppose we cut back on some of the things this year…so we had some energy to make a little of Christmas last ALL YEAR LONG? That would really be my idea of heaven, Christmas all year. That means Christmas music the entire time sweetie (Rob)! Maybe I can try to slow it down the rest of the month and remember I can spread this out, and remember to celebrate Him more, who this special holiday is really all about. I’m serious. We can do it. Now, I’m going to get off my soap box, and enjoy a cup of hot cocoa!

4 comments:

Sarah boo said...

I kind of thinking the same thing yesterday. We just got back from a big trip so I'm doing the whole unpack, laundry, grocery shop thing. As you know, it can be a bit crazy trying to get all that stuff done after being out of town. Our house is super messy right now and as I was looking at all the STUFF around my house I thought, "we have so much stuff. Do we need more stuff? Not really."
I feel like I need to simplify.

Arianne said...

I love that picture of Tommy! It brings instant holiday cheer! Your comment of pooping christmas elves made me laugh out loud....I'm glad you got some perspective...you make christmas magical no matter what you do....don't forget to take care of yourself. Love ya

Janet said...

Hi Kate......
I tried to get to you at the baptism, but missed you and Robbie. I was going to introduce myself (Shannon's mom..Robbie's age). I check your blog often but have never written anything thinking you might think it was weird, but I just want you to know that I loved what you said about Christmas. I have been more overwhelmed this year than ever before. I needed your thoughts. Your Tommy is so cute!

Just the 2 of Us! said...

I second everything you said Kate! We have decided to cut wayyyyy back this year and it's turing out to be the best by far! I hope you guys have a very Merry Christmas. Love and miss ya :)