CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Throw down at Costco...and my realizations about Motherhood

Yesterday, we had our weekly visit to Costco. As most moms know, it can always be a challenge to keep your kids entertained during a shopping trip and strapped into the cart. Tommy is no exception. He was screaming to "walk" and "pweeze get out". I finally gave in, and he was playing hide and seek with me most the trip. Yes, I was frustrated, but we got through it. The lines were terrible, and another young mom got in line behind me. Her cart was blocking some of the passing traffic. She had 3 kids, one 5ish, 3ish, and a new born. She was darling, her, and her children dressed to the tens. Her 3 year old began a tantrum, and the 5 year old wandered off a bit. Next thing you know a person trying to get by says, "If you cant control your kids, tie your tubes"! I gasped. The mom immediately broke into sobs. I had overheard this, but I asked the lady who said this, "excuse me, what did you say"? She replied,
"I said just what everyone else is thinking in their heads right now". I then said,
" No. I don't think anyone is thinking that at all. I think everyone is thinking, 'what can I do to help you out', or 'I have been there before', or 'wow, she is so brave'. No one is thinking what you are thinking. I really hope that you don't have any children with your thinking".
The young mom then yelled through her tears, "How dare you tell me that"!
Next thing I know the manager is there and, as a large circle has formed around us. The angry lady in her mid 30's yells,
"I can say what I want, its a free country! She should"!
I then am told that I need to move the line along by the cashier. I'm happy to get out of the situation, and afraid that I might use some really bad language at any moment that would negate anything good that I just did, or seriously hit this lady. My heart is racing, and I am perplexed that people have the guts and actual thoughts like this woman had. It actually was making me so angry and at the same time making me want to cry. Motherhood is so sacred to me. To me, it is very much a CHOICE. Every moment of every day I choose to be Thomas' mother. I choose to be unselfish, feed him first, dress him first, his needs always before mine. It is what makes me happiest...odd how that happens naturally. Because putting anyone else first usually doesn't make you happy. Sure, it can be hard some days. Some weeks I struggle. But I wanted nothing more to be a mother. I wanted it more than air at one point in my life. Motherhood isn't something that comes or came easy to me...I work at it. Then some days, it flows through me like Ive been doing it all my life and for past lives. Depends on the day.
To ever call someone out on being a mom, or their ability to mother...there is no greater sin in my eyes. I guess only because it is my greatest fear of not being a mother. I suppose its everyone deepest fear. I saw it in the sweet mom when she burst into tears in public when someone said she shouldn't be a mother...her greatest fear actually realized by a stranger. So I guess we really are all the same. No one wants to be judged as a mother...so don't. Don't judge other mothers, and don't judge yourself so harshly. Realize we are all doing our best, and that is enough.

13 comments:

banananutmeg said...

Word. If that happened to me I would have told him I had 2 others in school and was pregnant with triplets.

Alicia said...

You rock! Way to stand up for that lady! You did good!

Sycamore Girl said...

First of all, you go to Costco WEEKLY? What?!

Secondly, you are amazing. I love your strength in that situation (and always). You said what that poor mother wanted to say and speak for Mothers everywhere in this post. Damn feminists who have convinced so many that Motherhood is second best over anything else!

YOU are enough for Tommy and I'm so proud of you!

Taylor and Ruby Ricks said...

Kate, I love this post you are right it is a challenge but it is very worth it. I think I am going to stay on your blog all day and listen to your playlist I love it! Thanks

Jana and Brett said...

Holy Craziness! Somebody was so grumpy, and took it out on someone else. I'm so glad you were there, and had the guts to say something! I really needed to read this today! Thanks Kate. :0)

Sheffers said...

Go Kate, I am sure the other mother appreciates you so much. Way to stick up for Mothers. You are a wonderful mother and a great friend.
Great post!
while I was in the ER I had to tell the RN that I was pregnant and she said to me, this is your fourth pregnancy? you know they have ways to stop this? I was so offeneded. I wanted to say you dont know a dang thing about me lady, so shut the %&#@ up! But I didnt she had the drugs.

Just the 2 of Us! said...

Well said Kate! Glad you said something to her. I'm not a mother but I can imagine what it would feel like to have someone say that.

Ryanne said...

Ok, so I occasionally blog-stalk you (hope you don't mind :) ) and I have to say, well said! I can't believe someone had the nerve to say that and good for you for sticking up for that mom and all moms.

Julie and Kyle said...

good job kate! i love everything that you said. ... people are so rude.

The Buzz said...

I love that you stood up for that mother. You are so awesome!! I miss you. I don't have your cell phone number anymore. Mine is 801-649-7053. I loved this post!

The Tams said...

Oh my! I am so glad you stood up for that mom. That would have made me sooo mad if I would have been there!

Nichelle said...

well said kate! i am so impressed with you!

LambFam said...

Oh my gosh I am so glad you said some thing. I gasped out loud when reading what that mean person said. It is so hard being a mom and nobody needs to be treated like that! Good Job!!!!