CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cinderblock Heaven?

So, for those of you who have visited where I live, you know I live in Married student housing, and have since 2 months BEFORE we were married. Our housing resembles a state penitentiary from the outside I have been told once, and my dad once said in a family Christmas letter that it made Saddam Hussein's bunker look nice. All jokes aside, we have made our cinder block apartment (going on over 7 years now, with a slight break with an Iraq deployment) as cute as possible. We have put plenty of our own money into this place to make it livable, and still some days, I wonder, is it livable? I find mold, mushy walls, and everything going wrong. Lucky we have maintenance who "fixes" things...yea right. The other night I was taking a bath, and while in the bath I was examining the bathroom. Looking at the cracking walls, patched up pipes, painted over mold, uneven floor. Wow, I don't even think this would pass for a $20 motel in a bad part of town...or a bad country? But I know it is bleached and CLEAN! Then, I went to clean and dust the house, as it gets dusty here super easy with the circulating vents...and then I lost it...I do live in HELL. Well, for a clean freak. Look what I found under our wedding picture where I dusted not too long ago... So other village residents, don't breathe too easy. What the hell are we breathing in here? And for those of you non-poor, non-students, able to live in a houses with non circulated air with out crap...rest easy tonight!
So, this isn't dust...its like dirt! I'm like scrubbing it off to get it off the wall! The white square is the wall where the picture was hanging next the the white hutch in our bedroom.

3 comments:

Tyson, Amber & Alayna said...

Oh Kate - I definately do not miss those old apartments, but I'm not so sure that where we live now is much better some days - other than the fact that it is a little bigger and is an actual house rather than an apartment. Hang in there, some day we'll both have beautiful new houses to live in right :)

Jana and Brett said...

oh my gosh! I have to say sorry because I really don't miss that...don't worry Kate! It won't be too much longer...:0) BUT you have made the most of your little space. I've always loved your taste in decor!

Julie in the studio said...

Come on over anytime!!!